The August monthly curriculum theme is
Under the Sea/ Ocean!
Children will learn about the various plants, mammals and fish that live in the world’s oceans. The teachers will discuss coral reefs and the habitat they provide for the sea creatures and ocean life.
Classrooms will make an ocean environment by making tropical or coral fish, jellyfish, octopus and other sea creatures. The children will experience the sounds of the ocean by listening to waves and oceanic soundscapes. Children will sing songs about fish, whales and sharks. They will also learn how to crab walk just like to floor dwelling crustaceans.
New vocabulary words will include: mammals, blubber, tentacles, gills, seaweed and coral.
COR Advantage Objectives:
- Approaches to Learning: Reflection.
- Social and Emotional Development: Conflict resolution.
- Physical Development and Health: Personal care and healthy behavior.
- Language, Literacy and Communication: Reading. Book enjoyment and knowledge. Writing.
- Mathematics: Data analysis.
- Creative Arts: Pretend play.
- Science and Technology: Tools and technology.
- Social Studies: History.Color of the month: Blue
Shape of the month: Crescent
Letters of the month: O & P
Numbers of the month: 15 and 16