The August monthly curriculum theme is
Under the Sea / Ocean!!
Children will learn about the various plants, mammals and fish that live in the world’s oceans. The teachers will discuss coral reefs and the habitat they provide for the sea creatures and ocean life. Classrooms will make an ocean environment by making school of fish, jellyfish, octopus and other sea creatures.
The children will experience the sounds of the ocean by listening to waves and oceanic soundscapes. Children will sing songs about fish, whales and sharks. They will also learn how to crab walk just like to floor dwelling crustaceans. New vocabulary words will include: mammals, blubber, tentacles, gills, seaweed and coral.
- Sense of self: Solving problems and developing self-help skills. Creative representation: Responding to and identifying pictures and photographs.
- Movement: Moving to music.
- Communication and Language: Exploring picture books and showing interest in stories, rhymes and songs. Exploration and Early Logic: Exploring sense of time with times of day.
- Initiative: Initiating play.
- Social relations: Understanding and expressing feelings.
- Creative representation: Pretending.
- Movement and Music: Singing.
- Language and Literacy: Using letter names and sounds, reading, and writing.
- Mathematics and Science: Identifying sequence, change and causality. Identifying materials and properties. Identifying natural and living things.
- Color of the month: Blue
- Shape of the month: Crescent
- Letters of the month: O & P
- Numbers of the month: 15 and 16