February’s monthly curriculum theme is
Transportation and Community Workers.
In the transportation unit, classrooms will be discussing the different ways to get around; by land, by air and by water. Activities will include an outside game of red light/ green light, creating shape/ name trains, and going on an imaginary train/ bus/ airplane ride.
In the Community workers unit, children will learn that a community can be small with only a few buildings and homes or large with many buildings and homes. The people in the community help each other by offering goods and services.
Activities will include making badges and hats. Children will also engage in celebrations that occur during this month. For Groundhog’s day, children will learn about what the shadow of a groundhog means and engage in a game of shadow tag. For Mardi Gras, children will learn what the colors purple, green and gold symbolize. They will also be making masks and having school wide Mardi Gras parade.
For Valentine’s day, children will be talking about friendship, making Valentine cards and Valentine bags. On February 13, classrooms will host parties for the children to celebrate. In the transportation unit, children will learn new vocabulary words such as caravan, cargo and transport.
In the community workers unit, vocabulary will include the names of the jobs, such as, doctor, firefighter, dentist, mechanic, and shop keeper. They will play games, read stories and sing songs to help them learn more information about the theme.
COR Advantage Objectives:
- Approaches to Learning: Reflection.
- Social and Emotional Development: Conflict resolution.
- Physical Development and Health: Personal care and healthy behavior.
- Language, Literacy and Communication: Reading. Book enjoyment and knowledge. Writing.
- Mathematics: Data analysis.
- Creative Arts: Pretend play.
- Science and Technology: Tools and technology.
- Social Studies: History.
- Color of the month: Pink
- Shape of the month: Heart
- Letters of the month: C & D
- Numbers of the month: 3 and 4