It’s Fall and October’s monthly curriculum theme is
Fall and Fall Festivities!
The classrooms will be welcoming autumn by celebrating harvest time and the changing foliage.
Classrooms will discuss the change of seasons and what is different in our environment when seasons change, for example, temperature/ weather changes, change in foliage, shorter days, etc. They will also learn that fall is a time for harvest and learn about various fruits and vegetables that are harvested during this time. Activities will include leaf rubbings, leaf paintings, and making scarecrows and pumpkins.
Children will also engage in Fall Festivities such as Halloween. Children will learn about Halloween safety. The classrooms will carve a pumpkin and create their own Jack-o-Lanterns. Art activities will focus on Halloween. On Halloween, classrooms will host parties and parades for the children to dress up and partake in trick or treating.
In the fall unit, children will learn new vocabulary words such as autumn, foliage, harvest, and scarecrow. In the fall festivities unit, vocabulary will include Halloween, costumes, jack-o-lanterns and candy apples. They will play games, read stories and sing songs to help them learn more information about the theme.
- Sense of self: Distinguishing self from others.
- Social Relations: Relating to another child. Expressing emotion.
- Creative Representation: Exploring building and art materials.
- Movement: Moving with objects.
- Communication and Language: Participating in give-and-take communication. Speaking.
- Exploration and Early Logic: Developing number understanding. Exploring space.
- Initiative: Solving Problems with Materials.
- Social relations: Relating to other children. Resolving interpersonal conflict.
- Creative Representation: Drawing and painting pictures.
- Movement and Music: Feeling and expressing steady beat. Moving to music.
- Language and Literacy: Using complex patterns of speech. Showing awareness of sounds in words. Demonstrating knowledge about books.
- Mathematics and Science: Counting. Identifying position and direction.
Color of the month: Orange
Shape of the month: hexagon
Letters of the month: S and T
Numbers of the month: 19 and 20